In its Final Report and Order on Act 46, the State Board of Education has ordered that the Barre City School District, the Barre Town School District, and the Spaulding Union High School District merge into a single district, to be called the Barre Unified Union School District (BUUSD). Barring any action from the legislative or courts, the new district will officially begin operation on July 1, 2019 with a single school board, a single budget, and a single set of policies.
In preparation for becoming operational as a single district on July 1, there are many things happening:
- An Amendment Committee was formed to consider changes to the Default Articles of Agreement which the State Board of Education provided for Barre in its Order. That committee has met and developed Amended Articles of Agreement which will be up for a public vote on February 19. If approved, some of the default articles will be replaced with articles developed by the Barre Merger Study Committee over the past year. A Public Informational Hearing is scheduled for the night before the vote. You will find links below to the different versions of the Articles of Agreement, as well as the Warning for the February 19 public vote. Minutes from the Amendment Committee meetings can be found on the right side of this page.
- The Transitional Board of the BUUSD has been formed, as ordered, with two members from each of the current Barre Town, Barre City, and Spaulding Union District Boards. This six-member board had its Organizational Meeting and Initial Meeting on January 10. Minutes and Agendas from meetings can be found on the right side of this page. This board is charged with planning and preparing for operation of the BUUSD until an initial board is elected (elections are currently planned for April).
- The Initial Board Elections and Organizational Meeting are planned for April. If the public vote on February 19 is positive, the Initial Board will be made up of nine members – 4 from Barre Town, 4 from Barre City, and 1 at-large. If the public vote on February 19 is negative, the Initial Board will be made up of four members – 2 from Barre Town, and 2 from Barre City. Once organized, the Initial Board will continue preparation for operation of the new district.
- The Initial Board will warn a budget vote, which is planned for mid-May.
- In addition to the new boards, the current boards of the Barre Town, Barre City, and Spaulding Union Districts need to continue operating until June 30 and beyond as necessary to close out business. For this reason, board seats which expire this Town Meeting Day will need to filled, so on March 5 there will be elections for these seats, along with votes on articles necessary to continue operation until the districts cease to exist.
The State Board of Education’s Official Order of the merger of the Barre City School District, the Barre Town School District, and the Spaulding Unified High School District can be found at the following link:
The State Board of Education’s Final Statewide Plan in its entirety can be found at the following link, with the sections addressing Barre on pages 25, 26, and 31:
The Default Articles of Agreement the State Board of Education has developed for Barre can be found at the following link:
The Amended Default Articles of Agreement to be voted on by the public on February 19 can be found at the following link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WfuQlpm2bSLNlcd8PLAxL5Aj0gAKtyaDuhxmCEqg2B4/edit
The Articles of Agreement prepared by the Barre Act 46 Merger Study Committee can be found at:
February 18 - SHS Library
- Transitional Board Meeting - 5:30 PM
- Public Informational Hearing to answer questions on Articles to be voted on February 19 - 6:00 PM
February 19 - Public Vote on Amending Articles of Agreement
March 5 - Elections and Article Votes for Barre Town, Barre City, and Spaulding Union District Boards
- Transitional Board Meeting - 5:30 PM - Spaulding High School